To expand and deepen the knowledge base in the area of life sciences in order to harness and nurture the research talent in the academic institutions of the country to meet the national needs of Defence Services.
To catalyse the needed cross-fertilization of ideas and experiences between scientific community in technical fields to provide the required support to soldier in operations and the knowledge for integrating “human factors” to optimize his combat effectiveness.
The Life Sciences Research Board (LSRB) of Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) was set up to support and strengthen research base in the area of life sciences through projects under Grant-in-Aid Scheme to meet the national needs of Defence Services. The scheme is coordinated through five specialist panels:-
- Life Support & Biomedical Devices (LSBD)
- Soldier Health & Drug Development (SH&DD)
- Physiology of Extreme Environment & Behavioural Sciences (PEE&BS)
- Biotechnology and Bioremediation (BTB)
- Food Science, Hill Agriculture, Bio-fuels & Bio resources (FSH&ABB)