Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory (DMRL) is responsible for the development of advanced metallic and ceramic materials, and related processing technologies, for various critical defence applications.
Core Competences of the laboratory are:
- Product engineering, production support and performance analysis of metals, alloys and composites
- Process development and surface engineering
- Design and development of speciality alloys, inter-metallics, ceramics and composites
- Extractive metallurgy of titanium and magnesium
- Knowledge base in process-structure-property-performance relationships of advanced materials
The developments at DMRL have led to creation of new nationally important technology and production centres in the country. They are – Mishra Dhatu Nigam (Midhani), Non-Ferrous Technology Development Centre (NFTDC) and International Advanced Research Centre for Powder Metallurgy and New Materials (ARCI), all at Hyderabad and Heavy Alloy Penetrator Project (HAPP), an Ordnance Factory, at Tiruchirapally.