The history of Vehicles Research and Development Establishment (VRDE), dates back to 1929, when the Chief Inspectorate of Mechanical Transport was formed at Chaklala (now in Pakistan).
In 1947, the Inspectorate was shifted to Ahmednagar and was renamed as Technical Development Establishment (Vehicles), popularly known as TDE (V).
In 1962, the Engineering Wing was separated with an independent establishment at Pune, namely Research and Development Establishment (Engineers), popularly known as R&DE (Engrs).
Further in 1965, the activities were bifurcated between ‘R&D’ and ‘Inspection’ and two separate establishments’ viz. Vehicles Research and Development Establishment and Controllerate of Quality Assurance Vehicles (CQAV), came into existence.
In 1966, a detachment of VRDE was created at Avadi, Chennai, to assist in production of tanks at Heavy Vehicle Factory, Avadi, which eventually led to the formation of Combat Vehicles R&D Establishment (CVRDE) and further bifurcation of roles. Vehicles Research and Development Establishment (VRDE) is assigned with the responsibilities of Research, Design, Development, Technical trials and evaluation of all types of Wheeled Vehicles including Transporters, Trailers and various types of Specialist role vehicles viz. Unmanned Ground Vehicle (UGV) including vehicles of strategic role & engines for UAV’s.
In 1986, VRDE was assigned the additional role of design and development of Light Tracked Vehicles up to 25 t class.
VRDE is an ISO:9001:2008 Certified Laboratory.