Links

About Lab

High Energy Materials Research Laboratory (HEMRL), Pune is one of the premier Lab under the Armament cluster of DRDO. The history of HEMRL dates back to 1908, when it started as the Chemical Examiner’s Office at Nainital. There were a number of changes in name, location and charter before the Lab. Finally, it found its rightful place at Pune in 1960 as Explosives Research & Development Laboratory (ERDL), a name it was known by for 35 years before it was appropriately renamed as HEMRL on 1st March 1995 in order to cover entire R & D activities in all the wings of High Energy Materials like Rocket and Gun propellants, High Explosives, Pyrotechnics, Pilot Plant, Instrumentation etc. Today, this laboratory is spread over an area of 850 acres at Sutarwadi, 20 kms away from Pune city. HEMRL is an ISO 9001-2008 certified Lab.

Chronological Journey of HEMRL

Year Name & Location
1908 Chemical Examiner's Office(CEO), Nainital
1913 Chemical Inspector(CI), Nainital
1921 Chemical Inspector, Rawalpindi
1936 Chemical Inspector, Pune
1942 Chief Inspector of Military Explosives (CIME), Pune
1951 Technical Development Establishment (TDE), Pune
1960 Explosives Research & Development Laboratory  (ERDL), Pune
1995 High Energy Materials Research Laboratory (HEMRL), Pune

.
.
.
.
Top