Spin-offs to the Civil Sector
Studies on Water Quality of NE India
Studies on Containment of Malaria and Vector Borne Diseases
- Studies conducted on water quality will be useful to take remedial measures and treatment of drinking water by State Govt’s Public Health Engineering Deptt.
- Iron and Arsenic Removal Unit developed by DRL will be useful for community use for removal of excess iron and arsenic from drinking water.
- Water Testing Field Kit developed by DRL has been found quite useful by State Govt’s Public Health Engineering Deptt. for quick screening of the water samples as well as for training of their key personnel under the HRD programme.
- Studies carried out on containment of malaria and vector borne diseases leads to evaluate the minimum effective measures for control of malaria and mosquitoes in and around cantonment and Civil populace around the cantonments gets benefited from the outcome of the study.
- .Reduced mortality and morbidity due to arthropod borne diseases.
- Generated base line data on mosquito breeding sites, malaria endemicity, asymptomatic carriers and vectors available in the study areas.
- Herbal mosquito vaporizer is useful to the civil populace to reduce the man mosquito contact.
- Use of poly herbal tablet is helpful in reducing larval density.
- The identification of anti-malarial plants will be treasure to the mankind for combating malaria menace with a newer approach.
- Application of RS and GIS for rapid management of malaria outbreak.
Studies on Mushroom Cultivation & Vermi Composting Technology
- Training has been provided to civil populace and unemployed youth on mushroom production and vermi composting technology.
- Many of them have started commercial production of mushroom and vermi compost towards small entrepreneurship.
- Required seed materials (mushroom spawn) have been supplied to the mushroom growers by the laboratory to support regular production of mushroom.
- Use of vermi composting technology is helpful to the civil populace to deal with the noxious waste materials which is produced in every houses / societies every day. In general, the studies have been useful for socio-economic upliftment of the common people in North Eastern Region.