Dr P Sivakumar
Dr P Sivakumar, Scientist ‘H’/Outstanding Scientist took over as Director, CVRDE with effect from 25th March 2010.
Dr. P. Sivakumar obtained the Bachelor degree in Mechanical engineering in 1980 from College of Engineering, Guindy. He worked as Engineer in M/s Southern Structural Ltd, Pattabiram for one year and M/s Teclemet India Ltd., Chennai for more than two years before joining DRDO. He started his career at CVRDE as Scientist ‘B’ in 1984 and obtained Master degree in Production engineering in 1987 from Madras Institute of Technology, Chennai. He was awarded Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) by Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai in 2011 for his research work entitled ‘High Contact Ratio Gearing’.
Dr. P. Sivakumar, worked for more than two decades in Design and Development of Transmission systems for tracked and wheeled vehicles application. During this period, he developed 800 hp automatic transmission, 150 hp automatic transmission, mechanical steering system for indigenous 1500 hp automatic transmission, compact transmission system for 1400 hp power pack, many sub systems for ARJUN MBT transmission, Torque Converter for 150 hp and 550 hp automatic transmissions besides concept for Futuristic Infantry Combat Vehicle (FICV) and Unmanned Ground Vehicle (UGV). During 1998, he has completed ‘Armoured Vehicle Technology Course’ at DIAT, Pune successfully as first among the participants and ‘Military Vehicle Technology Course’ in 2001 conducted by Cranfield University, UK. During his tenure as Head of CEAD (Centre for Engineering Analysis and Design), he standardized software packages, hardware and reports and effectively improved the efficiency of analysis group.
As Project Director (ARJUN), he was instrumental in proving the Medium Fording capability of ARJUN MBT and delivering production tanks to User successfully after resolving all the critical issues mainly related to ToT, quality and reliability. Also, he has organized the Accelerated Usage Cum Reliability Trials (AUCRT) very effectively and efficiently with Army on two tanks selected from the first batch of production and ensured the induction of first regiment of ARJUN MBT into the Indian Army. As suggested by Chief of Army staff, a third party auditing of ARJUN MBT by an expert tank manufacturer from outside India was organized successfully under his leadership, in a very systematic way by involving DRDO labs, Heavy Vehicle Factory, DGQA and User for both design and trials, which have enabled the Army to accept the second regiment also. He was instrumental in conversion training of the first regiment at MFFR and the subsequent comparative trials with T-90 to decide the deployment strategy for ARJUN MBT. He played a very vital role in configuring ARJUN MBT Mark -II based on AUCRT and JRI besides amendment to the present GSQR of ARJUN MBT by involving all the agencies including User.
He is recipient of the following awards:
- “National Design Award” in Mechanical Engineering from the Institute of Engineers (India) through National Design Research Forum in 2002 for his outstanding contribution in the field of Engineering Design.
- “Defence Technology Spin off Award” of DRDO from Hon’ble Prime Minister of India for the development of 150 hp automatic transmission for wheeled vehicles in 2005.
- “DRDO Performance Excellence Award” for contribution in ARJUN MBT program in 2008 as a member.
- As Director, CVRDE received the ‘Silicon Trophy-2009’ for the best system laboratory in the field of combat vehicle technologies, from Hon’ble Prime Minister of India.
- ‘Scientist of the Year Award – 2010’ of DRDO for his active role in the Arjun MBT project management during AUCRT trials and in the certification exercise by external agency led to user acceptance and induction of Arjun MBT.
- ‘Distinguished Public Service Award’ by the Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore in 2010.
- ‘Guest of Honour’ award from M.S. Ramaiah School of Advanced Studies, Bangalore in 2011.
- ‘Honorary Doctorate (Honoris Causa)’ by Sathyabama University, Chennai in April 2012 for his significant contribution to DRDO for the development of transmission systems for AFVs and commercial vehicles as well as successful completion of production phase of Arjun MBT and its induction in to the Army for two armoured regiments in-time after completion of AUCRT and comparative trials.
- ‘National Design Award – 2012’ by the National Design and Research Forum (NDRF) of The Institution of Engineers (India), for his outstanding contribution in the area of design,development, testing and field evaluation of Armoured Fighting Vehicles.
His biographical profile was included in the 10th - Anniversary Edition of “Who is who in the world” USA. He is a member of many professional institutions particularly American Gear Manufacturers Association (AGMA), USA, American Society of Metals (ASM), USA, Institution of Engineers (India), Kolkata and Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE).
He has guided more than 20 student projects and published more than 40 technical papers in many international seminars and journals.