Directorate of Materials Management (DMM)ss was established in Dec 1994 consequent to trifurcation of Directorate of Planning and Resource Management (DP&RM) and has been assigned materials management duties. Materials Management is a prime support service for the execution of various time bound R&D projects by a vast network of Labs/Estts, located all over India, for design, development and leading to production of the State-of-the- art-weapon systems, platforms and allied equipment to meet the requirement of the Services. Directorate of Materials Management has been instrumental since its inception in formulating and implementing various comprehensive policies & procedures for ensuring cost effectiveness and adequate transparency in procurement.
Aims and objectives
- To formulate Materials Management policy directions and procedure documents, ensure their implementation and issue of clarifications pertaining to materials management policy and procedures.
- To provide guidelines to DRDO officers and staff engaged in the activities of demanding, purchasing, processing, inventory control and other allied functions related to the Materials Management.
- To review, modify, simplify and consolidate the existing Materials Management policies and procedures to facilitate cost-effectiveness, transparency and efficiency.
- To reduce procedural impediments/delays caused by the existing procedures and reconcile lacunae.
- To facilitate expeditious provisioning of material resources for the projects and programmes in consonance with financial propriety.
- Introduction of computerised materials management techniques for purchasing, inventory control and stores accounting.
Role and functions
- According EPC approval, constitution of TPC/NC and Financial Sanction for build up and maintenance items.
- Constitution of TPC/NC for project items.
- Participation by DMM representative in various TPC/NC meetings.
- Approval for entering into Rate Contract. Constitution of TPC/NC for Rate Contract.
- Formulation and monitoring of FE budget, need-based allocation of FE to programmes and Labs/Estts.
- Release of FE and monitoring of FE expenditure. Submission of monthly utilisation reports to Integrated Finance (R&D) and MOD (Fin). Preparing quarterly reports on foreign exchange liabilities and actual value of imports. Maintenance of FE software package and release of revised versions.
- Issue of authorisation certificate to Directors of Lab/Estt for issue of customs duty and excise duty exemption certificate to vendors.
- Issue of third party CDE certificate.
- Sanction of Air/Sea/Road move beyond delegated powers.
- Concluding Air Consolidation contract for Airfreighting of stores.
- Disposal of surplus and obsolete items and issue of sanctions beyond Director's power.
- Time bar sanction, Ex-post-facto sanction and arbitration.
- Regularisation of procedural irregularities, waiver of LD clause and BG.
- Published a 'Materials Management-Policy' document in Dec 1996.
- Published a document on 'Purchase Management' in Dec 1997.
- Published revised document 'Purchase Management-2000' (PM-2000) in July 2000.
- Published 'Materials Management-forms' (Vol. 1-Purchase Management) in June 2001.
- Published a document on 'Procedure for Placement of Contracts for Acquisition of Research Services' (CARS) in July 2001.
- A 'Compendium on issue of Custom Duty & Excise Duty Exemption Certificates by DRDO Labs/Estts' has been issued in September 2002.
- Published a revised procedural document 'Purchase Management-2003' (PM-2003) in Augst2003.
- Document on 'Stores Management' has been drafted by Stores Management Manual Committee. The document is being processed for Govt. approval.
- Manual for Development/fabrication contracts Management has also been evolved and is being processed for approval by the Govt.
Shri C.M Dhawan Sc 'G' currently heads the Directorate. He earned his BE degree in Mechanical Engineering and started his career from DGQA for inspection of Armament Stores. He joined DRDO in 1976 at GTRE, Bangalore. He also did M.Tech in Thermal Engineering from IIT Delhi. After having taken over as Director Materials Management from 1 Sept 2003 onwards, he has been providing fullest and timely support to the Labs/Estts for progressing projects/programmes.
A unified Stores Management Manual for DRDO is being processed for Govt. approval under his guidance. Through participation in TPC/NC in high value cases, he has been facilitating cost effective and timely purchase with adherence to purchase procedure. Earlier he has worked in GTRE from 1976-1983 and in Dte of Aeronautics at DRDO HQrs from 1983 to 1995. During his tenure at GTRE, Bangalore he has given valuable contribution on Design & Development of Turbo charger for MBT engine and followed up the activities of Kaveri Engine Project at DAERO (R&D) HQrs. He was member secretary of Propulsion Panel of ARDB and many Lab oriented projects were taken up with various Academic Institutes which made significant contribution to Kaveri Engine programme. From March 1995 to 31 Aug 2003 he worked in LASTEC and was actively pursuing the Design & Development of atmospheric Discharge Supersonic Diffuser for High Power Gas Dynamic Laser. He also worked as Joint Director (MM) and supervised the Materials Management work at LASTEC.
Dte. of Materials Management (DMM)
DRDO HQrs, Min of Defence
Room No. 137, B-Wing
DRDO Bhavan, Rajaji Marg
Telephone No: (011) 23014835, 23007135
Fax No: (011) 23014835