Dr. V. Bhujanga Rao, DS & CC R&D (NS&IC)
Dr. V. Bhujanga Rao, Distinguished Scientist joined DRDO on 19th May 1973 at DRDL, Hyderabad, and later moved to NSTL on 08 July 1975. He has also been given additional charge of DG - Naval Systems and Materials (NS & M) He has since served the organisation in various capacities and became its Director from 01 April 2006 until he moved to DRDO HQs and took over as CC R&D (HR) on 01 April 2011 and continued till December 2012. He was appointed as CC R&D (NS) on 1st Jan 2013 and currently he is CC R&D (NS&IC) from 1st March 2013.
- M.Sc Physics (Acoustics), Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati, 1972
- M.S (Mechanical Engineering), Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, 1986
- Ph.D (Mechanical Engineering), Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad, 1992
- Ph.D (Technology Management), Devi Ahilya Viswa Vidyalaya, Indore, 2002
AWARDS AND HONOURS
- MK NAMBIAR MEMORIAL ORATION AWARD by IABMS (2012)
- Dr. V Bhujanga Rao Endowment Lecture” instituted by GITAM University, Visakhapatnam from 2012
- VASVIK AWARD for Mechanical Sciences (7 Oct 2011)
- DRDO TECHNOLOGY LEADERSHIP AWARD (2010)
- HONORARY PROFESSOR, Andhra University College of Engineering (2010-12)
- DRDO SILICON TROPHY FOR OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTION TOWARDS DEVELOPMENT OF DEFENCE SYSTEMS for 2008 received from Defence Minister of India (2010)
- FELLOW OF ANDHRA PRADESH AKADEMI OF SCIENCES (2010)
- EXCELLENCE IN R&D AWARD, Bharat Electronics Limited (2009)
- NATIONAL DESIGN AWARD from National Design Research Foundation under the Aegis of Institution of Engineers India (Presented at Indian Engineering Congress, 2009)
- STANLEY L EHRLICH GOLD MEDAL from India Regional Centre of Acoustical Society of America for developing Cochlear Implant Prosthesis indigenously. (Presented at National Symposium on Acoustics on 26 Nov 2009)
- ORGANISATIONAL EXCELLENCE IN INNOVATION AWARD by Indian Institute of Industrial Engineering (2008)
- CORPORATE CITIZEN AWARD by Rotary Club of Waltair (2007)
- AGNI AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN SELF RELIANCE from Prime Minister (2005)
- SILVER MEDAL FROM ACOUSTICAL SOCIETY OF AMERICA for Contribution to Engineering Acoustics (2005)
- MS NARAYANAN ORATION AWARD, Acoustical Society of India (2005)
- CERTIFICATE OF COMMENDATION from Scientific Adviser to Defence Minister on National Science Day (2000)
- FELLOW OF NATIONAL ACADEMY OF ENGINEERING(FNAE), (1999)
- SCIENTIST OF THE YEAR AWARD FOR 1993, received in 1996 from Prime Minister of India.
- DRDO TECHNOLOGY AWARD for Studies on Gas Turbine Vibration (1992)
- COMMODORE GARG MEMORIAL LECTURE AWARD for the Best Technical Paper (1991)
Dr. Bhujanga Rao has specialized in Warship Technology, Weapon Hydrodynamics, Weapon Hydroballistics, Submersible Design, Integrated Naval Stealth (Acoustics, Infrared, Electromagnetic, Shock, Noise and Vibration) and Technology Management.
- Visiting Scientist during 2003-04/2004-05 at School of Computational Science & Information Technology (CSIT) at the Florida State University, Tallahassee, USA. Worked with renowned Mathematics Professor M.Y. Hussaini on various Mathematical Models.
- Published 70 Papers in Both National/International Journals/Conferences.
Infra-Red Signature Suppression (IRSS) Device
For Fitment at Exhaust of Diesel Engine of Ship to Evade Attack by Infra Red Seeker Missiles. (Patent Application: 0123/Del/2005 A, Filling date: 19-01-2005 Publication date: 10-11-2006) 28 number of Ships have been fitted with this Device.
- Fellow, Indian Nation Academy of Engineering (2000)
- Founder and President, Condition Monitoring Society of India
- President, Acoustical Society of India (2007-2010)
- Fellow, Indian Institution of Plant Engineers, India
- Fellow, Institution of Engineers India
- Honorary Fellow, International Research Institute for Deaf, India Member, Central Pollution Control Board (Noise Pollution), Govt. of India (2005-2009)
- Honorary Design Engineer, SM Kirov Machine Building Plant JSC, Kazakhstan
- Chairman, Governing Council, Andhra University Engineering College
- Alumnus of Harvard Kennedy School, Harvard University, USA